BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 1, 2010

Truly, Madly, Deeply...



I came across this article http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/27/fashion/27love.html?_r=1 today, and I just had to share it, because I completely agree with the author. While I adore, cherish, hold my son as my greatest inheritance as a mother, words cannot now, and most likely never will be able to express the way I feel for my husband. If something, heaven forbid and as devastating as it would be, were to happen to my son, I feel like I might be able to go on a little bit easier, because I would have my husband to carry an equal share of the burden--we would be able to mourn together as parents. However, sometimes I greatly question how I would fair if it were the other way around, and something were to happen to Michael. I would be alone in my grief as his wife--as the only one who had just lost the most important person in the world to me. I didn't realize half of me was missing all of my life until I met him and felt whole for the first time. As much as Sam loves his daddy, he just wouldn't be able to empathize with the magnitude of my grief, nor would I expect or ask him to.

I would also have to say that while the author of this article feels guilty for loving her husband more than her children, I do not; I think that that is the way it should be. I think the greatest gift you can give your children is to show them what is possible in marriage. As a child who didn't have that example, I feel greatly blessed that I was able to find someone like Michael, and create the kind of marriage and family we have. If it weren't for divine intervention, I would've never dreamed this kind of happiness was even possible. Now, Sam, and any other children we may have, will see that they too can be married to their best friend, someone who loves them more than any other person in the entire world...including their mother. And they will know how to treat them.

It just makes sense to me. In the end, the two of you are all you have once the kids are gone so shouldn't you be looking out for each other first and foremost? You ought to take that into consideration while the kids are growing up and make sure that relationship is healthy and nurtured all along the way. I think if you do that, everything else will just follow. Some people may think this is callous and horrible, but I would say that they were wrong. I agree with whoever said that the best way to love your children is to love your wife--or husband in my case.

Anyway, just my two cents that have nothing what-so-ever to do with writing.

Thanks for reading.

1 comments:

Julia Mar said...

I loved the article. As a new mom I've had to make a conscious effort to make sure my husband knows how much I love him. And I know I could do a better job. I've had those thoughts of, "What if something happened to him" and I have to hold back the tears. This is the one being on this earth who would give the world to me if he could. But he is my world. And our kids should know that.